- 130,689 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in New York State so far. 8,658 of those positives were discovered yesterday.
- 72,181 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in New York City so far. 4,630 of those positives were discovered yesterday.
- 16,837 people are currently hospitalized in New York State. That number is up 358 people from yesterday.
- There are currently 4,504 patients in the ICU in the state of New York. That number is up 128 from yesterday.
- 13,366 patients have been discharged so far. 1,179 of those patients were discharged yesterday. ❤
- 4,758 people have died from COVID-19 in the state of New York so far.
- 599 people died from COVID-19 in the state of New York yesterday.
- Our death rate has been effectively flat for two days. That is good news, because it means there is a possibility that we are starting to see our curve flatten.
- We remain the most impacted state. We are followed by New Jersey (37,505 cases/917 deaths), Michigan (15,635 cases/616 deaths), California (15,076 cases/349 deaths), and Louisiana (13,010 cases/477 deaths).
- Our hospital numbers are all continuing to trend downwards, which is great.
- We still do not know exactly what being at the apex of this curve means. Whether it will be a quick drop off in the numbers, or a plateau that stays stable for a while before curving down remains to be seen.
- Dr. Malatras shares several projection models with us today. The orange line shows the original estimates, the blue line shows a moderate estimate, and the purple line shows where they think we might actually end up thanks to social distancing. As you can see, we have made a huge improvement!
- Cuomo says if we are plateauing now, we are still plateauing at a very high level. He says sustaining hospitals at this level is still very problematic.
- They are continuing their “surge and flex” program as they move 802 ventilators to overly stressed hospitals.
- They are continuing to find ways to relieve pressure on hospitals through the use of things like the Javits Center.
- They are also requesting that the USNS Comfort take COVID patients now too. Cuomo will be calling Trump to ask for this later on today.
- Northwell health will be helping to bring Javits up to speed, and the location will then be staffed with military personnel.
- The New York Pause program (our shut down) will be extended until April 29th.
- The numbers coming down mean that social distancing is working, and we have to continue it. Let’s not make the same mistakes that other cities have and open up too early.
- Y’all, Uncle Andrew called us all the way out here in New York City with these photos! This isn’t over yet! STAY INSIDE AND STOP GATHERING! Don’t let your irresponsibility be the reason someone else gets sick. Also, SHOTS FIRED at NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio! Lol, because we all know when he says “certain local governments” are not enforcing things as much as they should, he means De Blasio.
- As of today, the maximum fine for violations of state social distancing protocols will increase from $500 to $1,000. He ain’t playing with us anymore, y’all! Bring your ass back in the apartment and stay there!
- The state is also setting up a first responders fund, to help essential workers with any needs they may have during this time. The New York State Department Of Health is accepting donations for this right now. Blackstone is making an anchor contribution of $10 million to kick things off.
- New York State is also partnering with headspace to provide free mindfulness, meditation, and mental health resources to all New Yorkers. Visit headspace.com/ny for more info.
- If you would prefer to call the mental health hotline to set up an appointment over skype with a mental health professional, the number for the emotional support hotline is 1-844-863-9314.
- He says our challenge is to make sure we don’t lose anyone that could have been saved, and I just want to say…. DO YOU HEAR THAT OVER ON THE BLOCK BEHIND ME? CAUSE DON’T THINK I DON’T SEE Y’ALL BUNCHING UP OVER THERE! AND WHO DECIDED MR. SOFTEE WAS AN ESSENTIAL BUSINESS??? Get it together, NYC! We just have to behave through the end of this month. We can do it!
IF YOU ARE ENJOYING THIS WEBSITE
Please consider donating a few dollars to help keep it going. Transcribing and recapping these press conferences is extremely time consuming. I do it because I passionately believe that everyone should stay informed, but it is undeniably a lot of work. If you would like to help me continue what I’m doing with this website, or just help to make sure I can afford food during this pandemic, please consider sending me a donation. I accept any amount, no matter how much, through Venmo (@Amydetriotgirl), Cashapp (@$carbetarian) and PayPal (Carbetarian@gmail.com). Anything you can give will be appreciated!